live

One too many? (Peapod Crib death)

6 Comments 27 March 2012

One too many? (Peapod Crib death)

I just came across the story of Daniel Moyers, a five month old baby, that suffocated in a peapod travel crib from Kidco just this past December (23rd).

Just two days before Christmas.

It has been determined by their doctor that the death was caused by positional asphyxiation, not SIDS.

And maybe because my baby, born just a month after him, is sleeping upstairs. Or maybe because I can not imagine any one thing more painful than losing one of my children. I feel compelled to pass this on.

And, I don’t mean to incite panic or any kind of ill will towards the company for continuing to sell the cribs.

But, I have looked at this item online and can see where it may not be the safest most breathable place for my baby to sleep.

She can roll and wiggle in all sorts of directions. And it does not look like she would be able to breathe if her face were to be pressed up agains the lower panel. I don’t need an official warning or recall to tell me that.

It took many cases of injury and death before drop-side cribs were recalled and ultimately taken off the market. And for each of those moms, I can guess without much reservation, that was one too many.

I had the option of buying one when we were first shopping for a crib for our oldest child. But something told me it didn’t seem safe. I wanted something sturdy and immobile. Plastic components weren’t going to be enough to hold my active baby, or my peace of mind. So I vehemently went with a stationary crib. Not because anyone told me to, or an official recall had been issued. Because wanted to err on the safe side.

An ER nurse once told me the most common phrase they hear from parents is, “He/she couldn’t do that yesterday!”

Therefore I am simply writing to say. Please take a second look before putting your baby to bed in one of these. Or any crib for that matter. Just a few seconds of consideration. Even if your baby has never managed to roll over before. This may be the first time he/she does it. Checking to see what that baby’s face may encounter or have its breathing obstructed by, could mean the difference between life and death. Your baby is counting on you.

And if you know someone else who may have a baby and or PeaPod Travel Crib I implore you to pass this story along. Not necessarily my post but the information in general. Through the pipelines of social media we can collectively decide that one death is too many. And let all mothers of babies that may be in similar danger be informed. And decided for their own child’s safety.

Your Comments

6 Comments so far

  1. Natalie Diaz says:

    Thank you for posting this. Our thoughts are with Daniel’s family.

  2. Me says:

    I hate that it has to take something horrific to happen for people to make a change.

    My thoughts are with the Moyers family.

  3. andrea says:

    He was one month older than my baby so it just hits so close to home. I can’t even imagine if this happened for us. My heart goes out to them as well.

  4. Nicole says:

    I use the PeaPod every month and it has been a fantastic option for my little guy since we travel all the time. This is terrible news and I think KidCo should recall the product.
    This product could easily be made safer by using mesh all around the sides so if a baby does roll against the side they can still breath. I hope the company designs a safer product.

  5. Barbara says:

    We are scheduled to travel the first week of May, and I was looking into getting one of these for our 7 month old. As I read multiple reviews, I found one where someone stated a women in her group lost a child. I then did a search, and came across the tragic story of Daniel Moyer’s death. This item should be recalled. My condolences go out to the Moyers.

  6. Josh F says:

    I registered just to make this comment.

    With all due consolation to the parents, this is crap. We have one, and love it. Everyone knows that a baby that cannot get away from an object or cannot move its head will suffocate against an object that is not “breathable”. This is not the fault of an unsafe product. This is an accident due to a baby left alone and allowed to suffocate. Are we going to now ban every product that does not “breath” that may at some time come into contact with a baby. We can’t let them sleep on their tummy, we can’t have bumper pads, we can’t have cribs that have any moving parts, let’s just put a “breathable” helmet on all infants under 1 year of age.


Share your view

Post a comment

Follow Along

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

my heroes

Buy a Bugaboo Cameleon Base and get the tailored fabric in any color free!

Archives

© 2014 Multiple Mama. Powered by Wordpress.

Daily Edition Theme by WooThemes - Premium Wordpress Themes